Top 250 Franchise by Entrepreneur – Rank no.38 – Merry Maids – US
Products & Services: Residential cleaning
Number of Locations: 1,667
Total Investment: $60.15K – 87.75K
Began Franchising: 1980
About Merry Maids
Dallen W. Peterson founded Merry Maids in 1979 in Omaha, Nebraska. The company cleans more than 300,000 homes, apartments and condominiums each month in North America. It has franchises in Denmark, Hong Kong, Japan and the United Kingdom. In 1988 Merry Maids joined the ServiceMaster Quality Service Network, which includes franchise companies AmeriSpec, Terminix and Furniture Medic. Merry Maids is based in Memphis, Tennessee.
Startup Costs, Ongoing Fees and Financing
Franchise Fee: $36,500 – $50,500
Ongoing Royalty Fee: 5-7%
Term of Franchise Agreement: 5 years, renewable
Net Worth: $60,000 – $70,000
Liquid Cash Available: $60,000 – $70,000
60% of all franchisees own more than one unit. Absentee ownership of franchise is allowed. (98% of current franchisees are owner/operators).
|FINANCING TYPE||IN-HOUSE||THIRD PARTY|
How This Franchise Supports Franchisees
Franchise Ranking History
|Type||Private (Held by Clayton, Dublier and Rice Inc.), Subsidiary of The ServiceMaster Company|
|Headquarters||Memphis, Tennessee, USA|
|Key people||Thomas J. Coba, President
Randal Isaacson, President
Brent Armstrong, Chief Operating Officer
Merry Maids is a franchisor which sells and supports residential cleaning services franchisees throughout the United States, using the “Merry Maids” trademarks.
Company history and key dates
- 1979 – Merry Maids was founded in Omaha, Nebraska by Dallen Peterson. Dallen worked with his family to create the Merry Maids system and franchise the company.
- 1980 to 2000 – further expansion of The ServiceMaster Company’s Consumer Services business formed a network of service companies, headquartered in Memphis, Tennessee, including ServiceMaster Clean, Terminix, TruGreen, Merry Maids, Furniture Medic, and AmeriSpec.
- 1988 – ServiceMaster Brands purchases Merry Maids.
- 2007 – Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, Inc. (CD&R), based in New York City, New York, acquired The ServiceMaster Company.
- 2011 – Hank Mullany, a former Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. executive, appointed as CEO for all ServiceMaster brands. And, Thomas J. Coba, former COO of Subway, named President of ServiceMaster franchise brands, including ServiceMaster Clean, Merry Maids, Furniture Medic and AmeriSpec.
Merry Maids organizational structure
Merry Maids has 1,400 independently owned and operated franchises worldwide. Merry Maids is a subsidiary of The ServiceMaster Company, one of the world’s largest service networks with locations in the U.S. and Canada as well as 10 countries around the globe.