Rank no. 93 – Goddard Systems Inc. – US
Products & Services: Preschool/educational childcare
Number of Locations: 400
Total Investment: $701.4K – 721.4K
Began Franchising: 1988
About Goddard Systems Inc.
The Goddard School offers year-round programs for children from six weeks to six years old including after-school enrichment and summer programs.
Goddard Systems, Inc. (GSI) is the franchisor of The Goddard School. Headquartered in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, GSI currently has franchises throughout the United States. Each school is a licensed childcare facility with an on-site owner, an Education Director and a faculty trained in Early Childhood Education or Childhood Development. GSI provides continuing education for all teachers as well as a corporate Quality Assurance program.
Startup Costs, Ongoing Fees and Financing
Franchise Fee: $135,000
Ongoing Royalty Fee: 7%
Term of Franchise Agreement: 15 years, renewable
Net Worth: $650,000
Liquid Cash Available: $150,000
20% of all franchisees own more than one unit. Number of employees needed to run franchised unit: 25. Absentee ownership of franchise is NOT allowed. (100% of current franchisees are owner/operators).
|FINANCING TYPE||IN-HOUSE||THIRD PARTY|
How This Franchise Supports Franchisees
Franchise Ranking History
|Industry||Franchise: Childhood Care and Education|
|Founded||1988 in King of Prussia, PA, USA|
|Headquarters||King of Prussia, PA, USA|
|Key people||Joseph Schumacher, President & CEO; Dzana Homan, COO;
Robert Scopinich, CFO
The Goddard School is a preschool for children six weeks to six years old with 400 schools across the United States. Goddard Schools are franchised by Systems, Inc (GSI), located in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania.
All schools have an on-site owner (franchisee) and an educational director. The schools incorporate a learning philosophy rooted in the teachings of child development experts like Jean Piaget and Erik Erikson. The program focuses on children’s emotional, social, intellectual and physical development.
The Goddard School uses the most current, academically endorsed methods to ensure that children have fun while learning the skills they need for long-term success in school and in life. Talented teachers also collaborate with parents to nurture children into respectful, confident and joyful learners.
The Goddard School Timeline
- Goddard Systems, Inc. is awarded by the Philadelphia Business Journal as a Social Media Star.
- Goddard Systems, Inc. earns Middle States Corporate Accreditation.
- Goddard Schools nationwide participate in second annual Goddard Community Games.
- Goddard Systems, Inc. Named Strategic Council Member of The Partnership for 21st Century Skills (P21).
- The Goddard School is the exclusive preschool sponsor for the second annual Ultimate Block Party: Arts and Sciences of Play.
- Goddard Systems, Inc. introduces a new Franchise Development website.
- Goddard Schools rank #142 on Franchise Times Top 200 franchises.
- Goddard Schools (nationwide) attempt Guinness™ World Record for most participants (multi-location) for Simon Says on Friday, September 23, 2011.
- Goddard Schools launch Goddard Community Games.
- National media coverage on Fox and Friends: Bully Prevention
- Goddard Systems, Inc. awarded two Telly Awards, including a People’s Choice.
- Anthony A. Martino scholarship awarded to high school senior, Brooke Del Guercio, graduate of The Goddard School located in Dayton, New Jersey.
- The Goddard School is the exclusive preschool sponsor for the Ultimate Block Party: Arts and Sciences of Play.
- Goddard Systems, Inc. introduces a Franchise Development Twitter account and Blog.
- National Geographic Society selects Goddard Systems, Inc. for development of an intriguing new book for families.
- Anthony A. Martino scholarship goes to high school junior, Arthur Foster, graduate of The Goddard School located at 6239 Perimeter Drive in Dublin, Ohio.
- Joseph Schumacher appointed President and Chief Executive Officer of Goddard Systems, Inc.
- Dzana Homan named Chief Operating Officer of Goddard Systems, Inc.
- Goddard Systems, Inc. receives program accreditation from AdvancED (formerly CITA).
- Anthony A. Martino scholarship goes to high school junior, Marjorie Berman, graduate of The Goddard School located in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania.
- Goddard Systems, Inc. announces discount to honorably discharged United States veterans.
- Goddard Systems, Inc. introduces a Facebook Page, Blog and a Twitter account.
- First-ever Anthony A. Martino scholarship goes to high school junior, Connor Sullivan, graduate of The Goddard School located in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania.
- Goddard School adds Mandarin Chinese to its list of enrichment programs, including learning opportunities in yoga, Sign Language, science, music, world cultures and more.
- The Goddard School releases its first-annual top holiday toy list, recognizing affordable toys that are “interactive, engaging and appropriate for the developmental stages of young children."
- 300th Goddard School opens in Centennial, Colorado.
- After representing the company as outside counsel for 20 years, Joseph Schumacher joins Goddard Systems, Inc., as Chief Operating Officer.
- 200th Goddard School opens in Vancouver, Washington.
- GSI hosts first convention for education directors in Philadelphia.
- Wind River Holdings LLP (formerly known as AMC) acquires franchise assets of Carousel Systems, Inc. and continues franchising as Goddard Systems, Inc.
- First west coast Goddard School opens in Portland, Oregon.
- Dr. Kyle Pruett becomes an advisor to The Goddard School.
- 100th Goddard School opens in Pickerington, Ohio.
- Goddard Press publishes Me, Myself and I, by Dr. Kyle Pruett, the renowned Yale University psychiatrist and early child development expert.
- Carousel Systems, Inc. founds Goddard Systems University to provide comprehensive and continuing education to franchisees and their faculty.
- Former Goddard Systems, Inc., CEO and President Philip Schumacher becomes president of Carousel Systems, Inc
- Goddard Quality Assurance develops its quality scoring system, one of the most stringent QA programs in the industry.
- Goddard Early Learning Centers are renamed The Goddard School.
- Former Goddard Systems, Inc., CEO and President Philip Schumacher joins Carousel Systems, Inc.’s franchise sales team.
- The first Goddard School franchise opens in Marshallton, Pennsylvania.
- Carousel Systems, Inc. is formed by Anthony A. Martino, founder of the Aamco Transmissions and Maaco Auto Painting and Bodyworks franchises, for the purpose of offering Goddard Early Learning Center childcare and preschool franchises.
- The first Goddard Early Learning Center opens in Malvern, Pennsylvania.
- The first Goddard School television ads air on Nick at Nite, Lifetime, USA and TNT.
Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools – The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is the unit of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools that accredits degree-granting colleges and universities in the Middle States region, which includes Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and several locations internationally. Goddard Systems, Inc received corporate accreditation in January 2012.
Partnership for 21st Century Skills (P21) – P21 is a national organization that advocates for 21st century readiness for every student. Goddard Systems, Inc was named Strategic Council Member in 2011.
National Association for the Education of Young Children – NAEYC’s mission is to serve and act on behalf of the needs, rights and well-being of all young children with primary focus on the provision of educational and developmental services and resources. Many Goddard Schools have achieved or are pursuing accreditation with NAEYC.
AdvancED (formerly CITA) – AdvancED provides systems of accreditation that promote quality schools, continuous improvement, and student success. Its mission is “Advancing the Quality of Education Worldwide.” Goddard Systems, Inc received AdvancED accreditation in January 2009.
Goddard Systems, Inc, headquartered in King of Prussia, PA, currently licenses 400 franchised schools in 35 states such as Maryland and Virginia and hundreds of markets including Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Waldorf, Leesburg and Portland. GSI has also opened several metro/downtown locations in such cities as Lincoln Park, Illinois, Cincinnati, Ohio, and Wilmington, Delaware.