REAL ESTATE DEALS-2012 AWARDS:
Award: Winner, Office Lease in San Francisco
|AWARDEE: J.D. Lumpkin and Zach Siegel
|COMPANY ASSOCIATED: Cushman & Wakefield
|SPECIALIZATION: Represented Square Inc. in its lease with Hudson Pacific Properties for 327,000 square feet at 1455 Market St.
Cushman & Wakefield
Cushman & Wakefield was founded in New York, N.Y., on October 31, 1917, by brothers-in-law J. Clydesdale Cushman and Bernard Wakefield. Expanding first throughout the United States and then globally, today Cushman & Wakefield has approximately 250 offices in 60 countries, employing more than 16,000 professionals who deliver quality services to its diversified global client base.
Our history reflects our commitment to serving our clients and our continuous efforts to evolve in response to our clients’ needs.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is the business response to the sustainable development challenge and the way in which it manages its processes to produce an overall positive impact on its employees and their families as well as that of the local community and society at large.
Our business is people and property. As people in the property business, we strive to be trusted business partners and by being responsible, we help to create that trust.
Partnership underpins our firm and our values. We believe that the successful long-term future of our business can only be achieved by working collaboratively with our stakeholders and in their interests: clients – whether they are building occupiers, developers or investors – employees, suppliers, NGOs, the media, Government and the wider community.
We understand that our business activities impact on the environment, society and economy directly and indirectly; directly in the way we run our own business and indirectly in the property advice we give to clients.
Cushman & Wakefield (C&W) is committed to managing CSR as an employer, prospective employer and professional service provider to its clients.
Under this policy, C&W will adopt operating principles which will provide guidance on:
- Environmental sustainability
- Social & community objectives
- Ethical Issues
- Our people commitment and business relationships
Our vision is based on a fundamental belief that by embracing the sustainability agenda and by helping clients implement sustainability strategies that reduce cost and generate value, our own business will become more sustainable, grow stronger and thrive.
We recognize our responsibility to our clients and the communities within which we operate, both present and future. We are committed to help secure a better, more sustainable future for all through the advice that we provide and the example that we set.
- We will work with our clients to pursue, promote and develop sustainable business outcomes.
- We will set a strategy and reporting procedures that will ensure continual improvement of our sustainability performance.
- We will ensure that our staff are involved in the implementation of this policy and have a comprehensive understanding of sustainability and climate change and how this affects property.
- We will be an advocate for sustainability in the wider business community by actively engaging with our suppliers and business partners to develop the values and approaches that will help to deliver a more sustainable society.
- Social & Community Objectives (‘Giving Something Back’)
We are committed to the communities in which we live and work. We understand the impacts we create on the local community in the everyday running of our business.
- Schools Around the World (SATW) is our own registered charity which exists to increase the aspirations of young people worldwide. By partnering with schools wherever C&W operates around the world, SATW aims to help widen the horizons of young people (11-25 year olds) whose opportunities are limited by their domestic, social or financial circumstances. SATW aims to give these young people opportunities for improved education, help nurture their aspirations and promote their personal growth.
- We will continue to encourage those employees who like to involve themselves in public and charitable service.
- We will continue to give our time and expertise for free to local community groups and voluntary organisations.
- We will aim to build long-term relationships with our suppliers and support small and local businesses.
- In our charitable giving we aim to work together with charities and create a partnership that is in tune with our business values.
C&W is committed to achieving and maintaining the highest standards of ethical conduct and institutional integrity. Our firm seeks to comply with all laws and regulations, accounting standards, and ethical guidelines.
We abide by a set of global values and our foremost standards of conduct are integrity and respect, collaboration and trust. Our direction:
- A Code of Business Conduct whereby our employees are expected to follow a high standard of behavior at all times, both professionally and personally.
- An Integrity Policy for Corporate Occupier and Investor Services (“CIS”) provides additional specific guiding principles with which all CIS employees are required to comply and sets forth the ethical standards with which we expect CIS vendors/suppliers to comply.
- The creation of the C&W Ethics Help Line where employees are encouraged to report any concerns they may have about unethical, dishonest, unsafe or inappropriate behavior in the workplace.
- A zero tolerance approach to harassment or unwanted behavior or conduct that a recipient finds intimidating, upsetting, embarrassing, humiliating or offensive, or that violates a person’s dignity. We actively promote a culture in which harassment is known to be unacceptable and where employees are confident they may make a complaint without fear of ridicule or reprisal.
‘Partnership’ captures the true spirit of our organization. In our relationships with clients, with each other, with suppliers and business partners, integrity is our foremost standard of conduct; we strive to treat all stakeholders with respect and dignity. We strive to find solutions by looking at the issues together.
- People are the bedrock of our business and we encourage lifelong learning throughout the firm. We extend this ethos to our relationships with clients and will continue to do so.
- We will respect our people and encourage their development and training. C&W has been awarded Investors in People (UK) since 1996.
- We aim to be a firm that is fully supportive of a diverse workforce including both gender and ethnicity. We will continue to promote equality and diversity and always consider the health and wellbeing and the work-life balance of our people.
- We aim to empower our people; we will consult and provide two-way communication for all matters right across the firm.
- We will recognize individual contributions and reward our people fairly. Our aim is to offer our people a full and satisfying career so they can be the ultimate professionals in Global Real Estate.
The policies that help to underpin and support our Corporate Social Responsibility Policy are:
- Sustainability strategy
- Diversity policy
- Equal employment opportunities policy
- Flexible working policy
- Anti-harassment policy
- Maternity, paternity, adoption & parental leave
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Chairman of the Board of Directors
John Elkann is Chairman of the Board of Directors of Cushman & Wakefield, Inc. He is also Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of EXOR, S.p.A., Cushman & Wakefield’s controlling shareholder, and Chairman of Fiat, S.p.A., where he has been serving as a board member since December 1997. EXOR is one of Europe’s leading investment companies with a net asset value of approximately €9 billion. Mr. Elkann is also Chairman of Giovanni Agnelli e C. Sapaz and Chairman of Editrice La Stampa Publishing Company as well as a board member of CNH Industrial N.V., The Economist Group, News Corporation and Banca Leonardo.
President & Chief Executive Officer
Edward C. Forst is President and Chief Executive Officer of Cushman & Wakefield. He is a highly accomplished executive with more than 30 years of experience working in international asset management, capital markets and operational leadership. Previously, Mr. Forst held executive roles at Goldman, Sachs, where he was elected Partner in 1998. Mr. Forst was selected in 2008 to be the first Executive Vice President and Principal Operating Officer of Harvard University. He also served as Advisor to the Secretary of the Treasury of the United States.
Managing Director | EXOR
John C. Cushman, III is a leader in the commercial real estate industry. He is responsible for formulating and articulating strategic policies and initiatives for the company on a domestic and global basis. He has been acknowledged by a variety of media sources as the top office leasing broker in the country.
Managing Director | EXOR
Chief Executive Officer | Corporate Occupier & Investor Services
John C. Santora is CEO of Cushman & Wakefield’s Corporate Occupier & Investor Services group and a member of the firm’s senior governing body, the Cushman & Wakefield Board of Directors. A 38-year veteran of the firm, Mr. Santora’s previous roles included CEO of the Americas and Global Chief Operating Officer. One of the industry’s most experienced commercial real estate executives, he oversees the company’s largest global business unit and is responsible for the organizational vision of the group which employs nearly 8,000 professionals and manages more than 800 million square feet of commercial property on a global scale.
Chief Financial Officer & Executive Vice President
Michael J. Bartolotta is the Chief Financial Officer and Executive Vice President. Appointed CFO in 2012, he oversees the global financial and accounting operations of the firm and its subsidiaries. Mr. Bartolotta has extensive experience managing the financial operations of leading public and private corporations. He is an advisor to all levels of management on financial and business issues regarding the firm’s domestic and international operations and growth strategy.
Global General Counsel
Gene Boxer is the Global General Counsel, where he advances Cushman & Wakefield’s global growth strategy through his oversight of the entire Legal function of the firm on a worldwide basis. Mr. Boxer closely interacts with senior leadership teams in all regions rendering and maintaining the delivery of legal services and effective compliance protocols while further enhancing the firm’s cross-border focus in support of a worldwide legal infrastructure. Prior to joining Cushman & Wakefield, he was a senior member of the Restructuring Group of American International Group, Inc. (AIG), where he was responsible for managing multi-functional teams executing several of the most high-profile worldwide asset dispositions, restructurings and other strategic transactions.
Executive Vice President | Global Head Valuation & Advisory
John Busi is the Global Head of Valuation & Advisory with overall responsibility for the firm’s valuation activities worldwide. His specific responsibilities include growing the practice globally, achieving a uniform approach to the valuation practice and integrating the firm’s global client management and business development activities. Mr. Busi oversees a professional staff of more than 580 appraisers across the globe in 99 V&A offices. John is a Designated Member of the Appraisal Institute and a Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (FRICS). He is a former President of the Metropolitan New York Chapter of the Appraisal Institute and a past recipient of the Appraisal Institute’s “Person of the Year” award.
Executive Managing Director | Global Marketing & Corporate Communications
Celine Clarke is Executive Managing Director, Global Marketing & Corporate Communications. As such, Ms. Clarke is responsible for the management, positioning and extension of the Cushman & Wakefield brand globally. Her primary responsibilities include the oversight and integration of business development, media relations, corporate advertising, marketing communications, internal communications and events planning. Since Ms. Clarke has joined the firm’s Corporate Communications department in 1984, she has contributed to the unsurpassed awareness of and confidence in the firm among real estate decision-makers and senior executives of the world’s largest corporations. She is a member of the firm’s Management Committee.
Chief Executive Officer, International
Carlo Barel di Sant’Albano is Cushman & Wakefield’s International CEO. Based in London, he is responsible for driving all business and client activities in EMEA, Asia Pacific and South America. Prior to joining Cushman & Wakefield in March of 2011, Mr. Sant’Albano served as Chief Executive Officer of EXOR, S.p.A.
Chief Executive Officer, North America
James M. Underhill is Cushman & Wakefield’s Chief Executive Officer of North America. In his role, Mr. Underhill leads all of Cushman & Wakefield’s business operations in North America and drives the firm’s growth and development, overseeing branch and area leaders in the United States, as well as Canada and Mexico. Prior to his appointment as CEO, Americas, Mr. Underhill served as Executive Vice President for Cushman & Wakefield in the Mid-Atlantic and New England regions for five years
Chief Executive Officer, APAC
Sanjay Verma is Chief Executive Officer of Asia Pacific. With over fourteen years in the real estate services sector in management roles in Asia and India, Sanjay has played an important role in the growth of the sector as well as increasing Cushman & Wakefield’s market share within the region. He was Executive Managing Director of South Asia operations prior to being named the Asia Pacific CEO in early 2010. He is also one of the founding members of Cushman & Wakefield India and as its Managing Director spearheaded the significant growth of the Indian operations, while delivering high profitability and increasing its market share.
Vision and Values
To be the world’s preferred real estate firm, providing the most creative and innovative services on a consistent basis, to drive meaningful value to our clients. To be the best at what we do.
To mobilize and deliver our vast knowledge, resources and talent throughout the world on behalf of our clients, and to enable them to make the most informed real estate decisions.
Integrity & respect
Our foremost standards of conduct
Collaboration & trust
A culture of collaboration, trust and sharing of information
Confidence in each other to deliver the most creative and innovative services to our clients
Attract and develop the most talented professionals
Buildings contribute more to global warming than cars, trucks and buses combined, and consume large quantities of natural resources. Well-managed sustainability strategies not only reduce pressure on our resources, they also yield operational cost savings, healthier and more productive work environments, and more valuable assets.
For our clients and our own operations, C&W creates action plans and a program of continuous improvement to deliver sustainability strategies that make a positive impact on the environment, local communities, and the long term value of our clients’ assets.
How Can We Help?
Property and portfolio strategy
- Baseline Assessments & Tracking across a spectrum of sustainability metrics, including energy, water, solid waste, and greenhouse gas emissions to measure progress towards client sustainability and financial goals, and to meet mandatory reporting requirements.
- Operations & Maintenance Solutions to reduce a client’s environmental footprint and lower costs. We also identify resources and incentives to support the pursuit of these strategies, optimizing investment returns.
- Energy Management for both demand and supply side issues tailored to each client’s needs. These programs have reduced clients’ energy costs 5 to 10% on average and include energy consumption analysis, on-site product and behavior upgrades and participation in energy procurement and curtailment programs.
- Building Certification including Energy Star labels, LEED and BREEAM In-Use. We have helped hundreds of buildings achieve the EPA Energy Star label since 2009 and have achieved tens of millions of square feet of property LEED certification. C&W was the first real estate services firm to certify properties under the LEED Volume Certification Program in the United States and we are the only firm in Europe that has enrolled all of our managed properties with the BREEAM In-Use system.
- Product & Service Procurement advice on leading technologies, services, and products to facilitate environmentally and fiscally sound selections, including renewable energy opportunities. Leveraged procurement strategies deliver both best pricing and quality of service to our clients.
- Tenant & Occupant Engagement Guidance to enhance cooperation between tenants and landlords and inspire action by all stakeholders.
We create sustainable building standards in the design and construction of new buildings and tenant fit-out projects, including LEED certification. Through an integrated project delivery approach, C&W helps minimize costs during design and construction, and throughout the life of the project space.
C&W’s guidance on site selection helps clients meet sustainability standards and goals. We work with clients to incorporate green lease provisions that allow tenants and landlords to equitably advance energy efficiency and other sustainability goals.
Valuation & advisory
We provide research and advice to optimize the value proposition of green strategies by identifying and quantifying the feasibility, costs and benefits, and return implications of various green options with a goal of minimizing risk and maximizing longer-term asset and portfolio value. Services range from analyzing options at the individual property level, to comparing whole building strategies across a suite of projects, and formulating optimal finance strategies.
C&W’s Corporate Commitment to Sustainability
C&W leads by example through a commitment to reduce the environmental footprint of the buildings we occupy and manage, engaging our employees and clients in these efforts, and through thought leadership.
Leading by example
As the only commercial real estate services firm to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with the US EPA, we committed to publicly disclose our progress towards our 2012 emissions reduction goal. As a Champion Sponsor of the BOMA 7 Point Challenge we have committed to reduce energy consumption levels of our managed portfolio to 30% below the national average.
Employees, education, and engagement
We support focused education and training that keeps our workforce at the cutting edge of sustainability. C&W maintains numerous knowledge and best-practice sharing networks including our Energy & Sustainability Task Force and specialty practice groups. Innovative programs such as our award-winning C&W Environmental Challenge encourage greater achievement. Our C&W Green Office, Earth Day, and Earth Hour activities inspire creative thinking, individual expression and collective action.
Serious engagement, partnering with technical experts, and taking part in industry dialogue to develop and mold legislation beneficial to the building industry are among our thought leadership priorities. C&W also provides client-focused education including seminars, market briefings, and industry publications.
C&W is recognized as an innovative leader in the field. Our clients’ properties have enjoyed top industry awards for green building and other sustainability achievements. We are honored to have received awards from CoreNet Global, BOMA International, US EPA, and IFMA, among others, for our innovative programs, superior property and facility achievement, and commitment to advancing sustainability.