Top company by employee – 40 – USAA – Texas US
Industry: Financial Services & Insurance – Auto Insurance
Previous rank: 20
2011 revenue ($ millions): $19,036
What makes it so great?
This big insurer has one of the richest benefit programs around: an annual corporate performance bonus averaging 18% over the past three years, a 100% match of 401(k) contributions up to 8% of pay, and on site massages and physical therapy at discounted rates.
San Antonio, TX
- USAA is founded in San Antonio, Texas, when 25 Army officers come together and decide to insure each other’s automobiles.
- William Garrison elected first USAA president.
- The first USAA employee, Harold Dunton, is hired as a general manager.
- Maj. Walter Moore purchases an automobile insurance policy for $114.74 and becomes our first member.
- USAA prints its first credo.
- Motto is “Service to the Services.”
- USAA advertises 8,000 active members among 38,000 possible.
- The stock market crashes; Great Depression follows.
USAA ended the 1920s with a net profit of $144,000 before dividends.
- Robert G. Davis becomes CEO.
- USAA is named to Working Mother magazine’s “100 Best Companies for Working Mothers.”
- LATINA Style Magazine named USAA one of the “50 Best Companies for Latinas to Work in the United States.”
- Phoenix, Ariz., office opens.
- Began offering USAA Documents Online on usaa.com to save printing and paper costs.
Post Sept. 11, 2001
- USAA is the only insurer invited to participate in the Department of Defense’s Survivor Assistance Center near the Pentagon.
- USAA deploys special member services teams to Lower Manhattan.
- USAA provides special deployment assistance to members called to respond to the fight on terrorism.
- USAA wins J.D. Power & Associates’ Chairman’s Award.
- Computerworld, InformationWeek, and CIO honor USAA’s information technology programs.
- 96% of active-duty officers are USAA members.
- 44% of enlisted personnel are USAA members.
- USAA Federal Savings Bank home mortgage service is ranked No. 1 by J.D. Power and Associates.
- Working Mother names USAA to its list of mother-friendly employers for sixth straight year.
- USAA is on Fortune list of “America’s Most Admired Companies.”
- Printed, online and telephone services are tailored to deployed members and families.
- BusinessWeek magazine names USAA its first Customer Service Champ.
- USAA introduces Deposit@Home® remote deposit capability.
- Lt. General, USA (Ret.) John Moellering named Chairman of the Board and Maj. General, USA (Ret.) Josue (Joe) Robles named CEO; Robert Davis retires.
- BusinessWeek magazine names USAA its No. 1 Customer Service Champ again.
- USAA sponsors first prime-time TV special — America United in Support of our Troops.
- USAA introduces online Car Buying Service.
- Eligibility requirements are expanded to include:
- Military retirees, regardless of when they retired.
- Military personnel who were honorably discharged on or after Jan. 1, 1996.
- Widows or widowers of military personnel killed in action while eligible.
- After they join, spouses and children of the above may also be eligible for membership.
- In a year when most financial services companies post record losses and the S&P 500 Index total return dropped by 37%, USAA earned $423 million in net income and generated positive investment income.
- USAA introduces USAA Deposit@Mobile®; the first mobile deposit capability for the iPhone®.
- USAA is ranked No. 1 in MSN Money Customer Service Hall of Fame.
- Begins offering face-to-face service at offices in Tampa and Colorado Springs.
- Consolidated regional office locations — closing the Sacramento office and Norfolk policy service location.
- Military Spouse magazine ranks USAA #1 on its 2009 list of America’s “Most Military Spouse Friendly Employers.”
- USAA becomes the presenting sponsor for the Army-Navy Football Game.
- USAA expands eligibility to all who are serving or have honorably served our nation in the U.S. military — and their families.
- USAA forges cooperative alliances with military organizations, including the VFW and American Legion.
- USAA creates comprehensive tools for car buying (Auto Circle) and home buying (Home Circle).
- USAA teams up with hundreds of The UPS Store locations to offer Easy Deposits check deposit service.
- The USAA iPad app debuts, allowing members to manage finances and access advice.
- USAA provides new face-to-face opportunities for members with Financial Centers in key locations.
- USAA named one of Infoweek’s Top 10 Most Innovative Companies.
- Forrester Research ranks USAA as its top customer advocate.
- USAA named one of the best places to work by FORTUNE magazine and the top place to work in IT by Computerworld magazine.
- USAA agrees to purchase 25% of its power needs for San Antonio and Phoenix from renewable sources.
- Earned unprecedented growth of 9% in both new members and products, despite experiencing its worst catastrophe year ever and a shaky economy.
- Became the Official Military Appreciation Sponsor of the National Football League.
- Opened four new Financial Centers, bringing the total number to 11.
- Launched a national TV campaign to promote our members sharing the legacy of USAA membership with their families.
- Redesigned usaa.com to provide easier access for members to accounts, tools, products and services.
- Introduced USAA® Money Manager, a personal budgeting tool for mobile devices.
- FORTUNE includes USAA on its “100 Best Companies to Work For” list for the third year.
- Forrester Research ranks USAA Bank highest among all brands from all industry categories in “The Customer Experience Index.”